Being in a long-distance relationship can certainly become difficult in the communication department. Once you get settled into the long-distance of the relationship, chats can get stalled. Yes, “good morning,” and “I love yous” are still welcome on each call. But if you find yourself more like a news reporter (today I did…) instead of a relationship partner, turn to these starters to keep the conversation going.
- Did you have an irrational childhood fear?
- What’s the worst/weirdest date you’ve ever been on?
- If you had to be trapped inside one giant food, and the only way to escape was to eat your way out of it, which food would you choose?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- What does success look like to you?
- In what ways are you most similar to your partner? How are you different? Do these traits help or hinder your relationship?
- Name something you would like to do, but are too scared to try.
- If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would purchase? What would you purchase for your partner?
- What is your earliest memory?
- What is the strongest part of your relationship? What is the weakest? How can you improve the weak spots? [Don’t let this get out of hand, its meant for you to grow stronger]
- How would you describe your partner to a friend? How do you think your partner would describe you?
- Who is your celebrity crush? What attracts you to them?
- When do you feel most like yourself? Why do you think this is?
- What motivates you the most in life? What makes you feel discouraged or disengaged?
- Is the glass half empty or half full? Has this outlook changed over the years? What do you think has affected this point of view?
- What was your favorite book or movie as a child? What did you love about it? Do you still enjoy the same type of stories?
- If you were describing your partner to someone else, what would you say?
- Describe the perfect day — what do you do and with whom is it shared?
- What did you want to be when you were a little kid? Why?
- Create a bucket list of places you’ve always wanted to see.
By using these long distance relationship conversation starters, you and your partner will open the doors to more engaging discussions beyond simply reporting the day’s news.
What conversation starters have YOU used to focus on your relationship? [Share] your favorite questions for your partners below in the comments!